Rosler says Fleetwood midfielder George Glendon still available for selection after rape charge
Fleetwood midfielder George Glendon, who has been charged with rape, has not been suspended with head coach Uwe Rosler revealing he will still be in contention for Saturday's game at Bury.
Glendon, who turned a loan spell from Manchester City into a permanent deal in January, appeared in court in Grimsby on Tuesday.
The 21-year-old, of Cheadle, near Stockport, Cheshire, appeared before Grimsby Magistrates’ Court after he was charged with raping a woman on February 21 last year.
A judge granted the footballer bail with a condition that he does not contact the complainant.
Glendon, who has made 25 appearances for the League One club this term and last featured as a late substitute in the 1-0 win over Walsall last week, has not been suspended by the club who stressed they have not been made aware by Manchester City that Glendon had been interviewed by the police regarding the case.
When asked whether Glendon would feature at Bury on Saturday Rosler said: “For me it is important what I see on the training pitch.
“I wasn’t aware of this, nobody was aware of this.
“He gets judged on what we see on the training pitch in what physical and mental frame he is and the he will be selected. He cope really well for one year so I can’t see him not coping now with that and he is ready for selection.” In a statement on their website on Tuesday the club said: “Fleetwood Town Football Club have been made aware of legal proceedings involving one of our employees surrounding an alleged incident which occurred before his arrival at the club.
“It’s a matter we were previously unaware of, and we will be making no further comment during the course of proceedings.”
The club says they have been advised by their solicitors not to make any further comment on the situation with Glendon still available for selection in Town’s final eight games of the campaign.