Town defender rushed back too soon

Eggert Jonsson
Eggert Jonsson

Fleetwood boss Graham Alexander admits Icelandic international Eggert Jonsson was rushed back into action “too soon”.

The 27-year-old was left out of last Saturday’s 18 to face Bradford, having played 90 minutes against Rochdale the previous weekend.

Jonsson conceded an added-time penalty in that clash and his manager admitted it may have been “unfair” to start him in the absence of Conor McLaughlin, who was on international duty with Northern Ireland.

“We looked at the game against Rochdale,” said Alexander.

“Eggert had come back after being injured and we probably put him in the team too early. We’ll take that on our chin.

“I spoke to Eggert about it, that we were probably a little bit unfair on him, putting him back in after two or three days training.

“We need to get him right up to speed, to where we expect him to be, where he expects to be to give him the best chance to play how we all expect.”

While Alexander is showing caution with Jonsson, there is no such concern for Jamille Matt.

The striker completed his first 90 minutes since returning from injury last Saturday and Alexander was pleased to see the former Kidderminster forward come through such a major test.

And he revealed how the final say on Matt’s game-time had gone to physio Luke Bussey, who guided the 24-year-old through his recovery from a knee ligament problem which wiped out his 2014-15 season.

“I spoke to Luke in the week and I spoke to him in the second half,” revealed Alexander.

“He’s close with Jamma and knows about his physical state, and he assured me he was OK to carry on.

“I think it was a massive step for Jamma to do that.

“It’s his first full game for probably a year and a half and I thought he was superb. Him and Jamie Proctor caused all sorts of problems.

“But there were a lot of good performances – all the lads did well because it was a test.”

Matt was one of a number of Fleetwood players spotted sporting an icepack following Saturday’s 1-1 draw but Alexander made it clear there was no cause for concern.

“He has ice on his knee virtually every day – after training and on his days off.

“It’s just one of those things. He has to manage his recovery, even now that he’s up to speed and playing games.

“He’s going to have to manage it for the rest of his career to make sure there’s no reoccurrance .

“But to be fair to him, he follows everything to the letter and knows how important it is. There were a few boys with ice on their heads, their knees and ankles.

“But that’s great – it’s what we want to see when we finish a game. They’ll be fine.”