Plymouth Argyle 1 Fleetwood Town 0: Own goal sees the Cod Army beaten

Simon Grayson suffered his first loss as Fleetwood Town manager after a disappointing defeat at Plymouth Argyle.

Saturday, 13th February 2021, 5:41 pm

The misfiring Cod Army had picked up their first home win for three months with an impressive victory against Doncaster Rovers in midweek.

However, Harrison Holgate’s own goal left Grayson’s charges searching for a first victory on the road in two months.

The visitors had enjoyed an early sniff of goal as Charlie Mulgrew’s free-kick was tipped over the bar by Michael Cooper.

Fleetwood Town were beaten at Plymouth Argyle Picture: Dave Peters/PRiME Media Images Limited

Fleetwood continued to threaten without creating another clear-cut chance as Argyle scored against the run of play.

The visitors went behind in unfortunate fashion as Holgate turned Byron Moore’s dangerous cross into his own net.

Keeper Alex Cairns easily claimed Luke Jephcott’s effort as the Pilgrims looked to double their advantage.

Although Town got the ball in good areas they struggled to find a cutting edge in the final third, Kyle Vassell being denied by the assistant’s flag.

At the other end, Cairns produced a fine double save in keeping out Jephcott’s long-range strike and Niall Ennis’ follow-up.

Daniel Batty went close for the visitors, smashing an effort over the bar as Town ended the first half strongly.

Nevertheless, they had to scramble to stop the hosts from opening up a two-goal cushion with Cairns stopping a potentially dangerous cross before Holgate did well to block Ennis’ 10-yard strike.

Plymouth squandered a decent chance to put Fleetwood to bed as Panutche Camara blasted wide moments before being substituted.

With 15 minutes left, Callum Connolly put his body on the line to block Adam Lewis’ strike.

Vassell fluffed his lines as he fired wide of the home goal after Janoi Donacien did extremely well down the right-hand side.

The former Blackpool forward was then unable to connect after being found by Sam Finley.

Grayson made a double change with 10 minutes to go in a desperate bid to get something out of the game with Ryan Rydel and Harvey Saunders both thrown on.

Some brave defending kept Fleetwood in the hunt for a point as Rydel and Cairns kept out Ryan Hardie’s effort and cleared the danger.

Substitutes Barrie McKay and Saunders combined with the latter heading wide at the back post as hopes of a point slowly evaporated.

It meant Fleetwood were forced to suffer the long journey home pointless, while the Pilgrims stretched their unbeaten run to five games.

Plymouth Argyle: Cooper, Aimson, Opoku, Watts, Moore (Edwards 84), Camara (Lewis 72), Fornah, Mayor, Grant, Ennis, Jephcott (Hardie 69). Subs not used: McCormick, Reeves, Lolos, Woods.

Fleetwood Town: Cairns, Holgate (Saunders 82), Connolly, Mulgrew, Donacien, Batty, Rossiter (Finley 63), Andrew (Rydel 82), Camps (McKay 87), Vassell, Madden. Subs not used: Coleman, Duffy, Morris.

Referee: Thomas Bramall.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 per month for the first two months. Try us today by clicking here