THE CHAIRMAN of Fleetwood Town remains defiant his club can make it to the Football League after a disappointing end to the season.
Andy Pilley, the man who has provided the funds for the team’s meteoric rise up the amateur leagues, says he is as committed as ever to pushing Fleetwood Town forward.
He told The Weekly News: “The season has been a great success and as much as we didn’t think we would get to the play-offs we did and probably over-achieved.
“It’s now our aim to get the players we need to hopefully have a real crack at promotion next season.”
Mr Pilley says Mickey Mellon, the manager, is safe in his job after the team missed out on promotion when they were beaten 8-1 on aggregate by AFC Wimbledon.
He added: “I trust the manager implicitly and he has done an excellent job so far.
“I’m very determined and have committed to working with the manager to get the right players in and ensure we are at the top of the league next season.”
Fleetwood were well beaten over the two legs and will remain in the Blue Square Premier League.
However, optimism for next season remains strong.
Mick Mellon said: “Obviously, we’re very disappointed to lose the game in the way we did, but what I don’t want to start doing is laying into the team because they have done terrifically well to get to this stage. I’m very proud of them to get us into the play-offs.
“It might have come a bit too soon for us, but certainly one thing you can guarantee is that Fleetwood will recover from this, and be better for it – and that’s the important thing.
“We will have learned a lot of lessons.”
Skipper Steve McNulty said: “The gaffer did all he could with us from Friday and changed our shape, but sometimes you’ve just got to hold your hand up and say this time they were better than we were over the two legs.”