Goodall ‘bailed out’ by Fleetwood Town team spirit

Alan Goodall is sent off
Alan Goodall is sent off
Share this article

Fleetwood Town’s first sending off of the campaign couldn’t halt their late push for glory – Graham Alexander delighted with a battling victory.

“It was a vital three points,” said Alexander.

“We heard the Rochdale result before we came out so we knew it was vital to get the three points.

“To go a man down after 12 minutes I was really disappointed.

“From then on the boys were fantastic with the work rate they showed, the discipline and the good football they showed when they got the ball down.

“To win 1-0 with 10 men for 80 minutes is a great achievement.”

Wycombe, battling against the drop, shouldn’t have made it easy for Fleetwood.

But their chances were limited to a few late sucker-punches, something which Alexander was delighted by.

“They needed the points just as much as we needed,” he said.

“But after the sending off the emphasis of the game changed.

“We stayed with two up until the last eight or nine minutes because we wanted to win the game.

“The work of the midfield players was incredible and they came up with a winner together.”

As for the challenge on which the match could so easily have turned, Alexander is yet to get a proper view.

But he’s gutted for Alan Goodall who has become a vital part of Fleetwood’s late-season success.

Alexander said: “It was a challenge and I followed the ball.

“When it got called back I was speaking to the fourth.

“He said it was an incident after the ball had gone.

“I haven’t seen it myself but it’s disappointing because Goody has done great for us.

“He was distraught about letting his team down but the players have pulled him out of it by getting three points.”

Goodall took to social network Twitter to apologise to Fleetwood supporters and his team-mates.

He posted “Want to apologise to all the lads an everyone at Fleetwood Town for my stupidity! Moment of madness! Absolutely gutted!”

The defender turned midfield man is likely to miss Town’s last two games and the first of any play-off campaign.