Fleetwood 2 Swindon 2

Antoni Sarcevic starts for Fleetwood
Antoni Sarcevic starts for Fleetwood

Josh Morris scored twice as Fleetwood Town gave up a two goal lead to draw with new League One leaders Swindon Town.

Fleetwood struggled to find their feet against a Swindon side hotly tipped and well placed for a promotion push.

And they were lucky to still be in the game by the break.

Things didn’t look too good for Fleetwood just before the quarter hour when Jeff Hughes clipped the heels of Andy Williams as he darted across the box.

Michael Smith’s penalty was poor, lacking neither pace nor placement, Chris Maxwell guessing right, and sprawling to deny the striker.

But Fleetwood weren’t out of the woods, Harry Toffolo rattling the woodwork before the half was up, his drive from the left hand side of the box beating Maxwell but canoning out off the post.

Fleetwood rode their luck before the break but made their own after.

They found space on the break, particularly down the left where Nathan Byrne’s attacking instincts were leaving Swindon exposed.

When Antoni Sarcevic won the ball in central midfield, Town were able to release Jamie Proctor on a bull in a china shop run into the area.

He found his angle closed but picked out Josh Morris with a clever backheel , the on-loan Blackburn midfielder with a first time drive to give Fleetwood the lead.

And before the hour Morris, playing the final game of his loan spell from Blackburn Rovers, had his and Fleetwood’s second.

Another break, this time Stephen Dobbie finding ground to run into down the right.

His curling ball was inch perfect, Proctor wise to leave it, Morris steaming in with time to place a low finish past Wes Foderingham into the far corner.

Luck hadn’t been with Swindon, but they finally caught their break with 20 minutes remaining.

Toffolo broke down the right, dinking a ball to Williams, his blast deflected off Fleetwood skipper Mark Roberts and past Maxwell.

It was a hanging on mission for the home side, one which they looked like pulling off until two minutes from time.

Ben Gladwin’s curling ball from the leff flank left left Fleetwood’s defence standing, Louis Thompson stealing in at the back post to level for the visitors with a stinging strike.

The draw was valiant, another indication of Fleetwood’s ability to compete with the very best.

But those leaving Highbury were left with the feeling things could have been so much better.