Fleetwood 2 Crewe Alexandra 1

Nathan Pond captains Fleetwood
Nathan Pond captains Fleetwood
Share this article

Jamie Proctor stole the show as Fleetwood Town marked their League One debut with victory over Crewe Alexandra.

Fleetwood probably shaded the first half but couldn’t find a way past a determined Alex side.

David Ball and Gareth Evans both squandered a golden opportunity just after the quarter hour, Stephen Dobbie picking out the run of Antoni Sarcevic, Fleetwood’s wide man with a dangerous cross, Ball not making enough contact, Evans unable to finish at the back post.

Sarcevic came close again minutes later, getting the better of Alex keeper Scott Shearer, his effort running across the face of goal and wide.

Town were nearly architects of their own downfall when sloppy play in midfield gifted the busy Crewe skipper Matt Tootle an opening, the defender with a curling shot which worried Chris Maxwell right up to the moment it span past the back post.

Oliver Turton hit the bar for the visitors while at the other end Shearer pulled off a superb save to deny Dobbie from close range.

The shot was to be the frontman’s last a rugged challenge in the area as he let fly leaving the former Blackpool man limping - Town’s newest star replaced at half time by Jamie Proctor.

It proved a fruitful switch, Proctor key in Town’s opener just after the break.

Billy Waters had just hit the angle for Crewe when Fleetwood launched a swift break down the left, Proctor picked out in the box he showed good strength to turn his man picking out Ball who span and blasted past Shearer from close range.

Proctor’s inspired start was far from over - the striker adding a stunning second eight minutes later.

It was a fine individual effort, the former Preston man finding space on the left hand edge of the box, curling the ball past Shearer into the top right hand corner.

Liam Hogan’s clumsy challenge, just after the hour could have proved costly for Town, Crewe handed a spot kick.

But Tootle’s penalty was a poor one, low and slow down the middle, all too easy for Chris Maxwell to push away.

Town could have added a third when Gareth Evans turned Liam Nolan almost feeding Ball who couldn’t quite get the killer touch.

Antoni Sarcevic had two late chances to put the nail into the Crewe coffin, first dancing around two men inside the Alex box, only to see his shot blocked, then spiriting in from the left, a fine shot from a tight angle saved by a sprawling Shearer.

Brad Inham spoiled the fun in the dying seconds, blasting home from the spot after Liam Hogan conceded his second penalty of the afternoon with a foul on Callum Saunders.

But there was no time for Crewe to snatch a leveller, Town claiming their first League One win.