Dagenham and Redbridge 1 Fleetwood Town 0

David Ball
David Ball

Fleetwood Town suffered their second defeat in five days after conceding a late penalty at Dagenham and Redbridge.

In stoppage time, Sam Williams was fouled in the box by defender Youl Mawene and picked himself up to convert the resulting penalty kick.

Micky Mellon made a few changes to the team ahead of the game, with Shaun Beeley returning after illness, while a third league start was handed to Alan Goodhall in at left-back and Tom Barkhuizen started right midfield.

The Daggers were without their leading goalscorer, Dwight Gale, after he was loaned out to Peterborough earlier in the week, so Williams started alongside Jake Reed up front.

Coming into the game, Town had not lost away in eight and were looking to get back to winning ways after defeat at home to Accrington Stanley in midweek.

But it was the Daggers who started the stronger, with shots from Luke Howell and Oluwafemi Ilesanmi.

Howell saw his effort from just outside the area go wide, while left-back Ilesanmi went on a solo run but scuffed his shot , sending it wide also.

Town finally made an impression on the game as Beeley saw his near post shot saved by Dagenham keeper Chris Lewington.

And three minutes later, Barry Nicholson crossed in low towards Junior Brown but the pace on the cross meant he couldn’t get on the end of it.

Nicholson carved out another chance, as he played a through ball to lone striker David Ball, but his effort went wide of the far post.

After some sustained pressure by the away side the Daggers responded, working the ball out to Matt Saunders, but his shot went harmlessly wide.

The Daggers continued to press and on 33 minutes should have taken the lead.

A mistake by Mawene allowed Jake Reed to go through on goal, only for his initial shot to hit the post and his follow-up effort to sail high and wide.

Soon after, Michael Spillane surged forward and shot straight at the keeper with his left foot

Into the second half, and Town were looking the more likely to break the deadlock.

Brown latched on to a header down, but his half-volley was tame and easily saved by Lewington, who then denied Ball as he smothered the striker’s shot.

Four minutes later, Brown was involved again as his near-post cross found Barkhuizen, whose flick was blocked.

The Daggersm who were quiet for most of the second halfm nearly took the lead from a corne after Davies found himself in no man’s land as he tried to claim the ball.

Fortunately for the Town no.1, oncoming defender Luke Wilkinson also missed the ball as it ran through for a goal-kick.

Substitute Alex Titchiner, on his return from a loan spell at Halifax, couldn’t find the target with his effort after Brown had got a yard on Abu Agogo to put in another teasing cross.

With three minutes of stoppage time to be played, the match looked set to end in stalemate it ended in dramatic fashion.

Williams was brought down as he looked to go past Mawene and the Daggers striker made no mistake from the spot, sending Davies the wrong way.

It was the second penalty Mawene had conceded in as many games.

Brown looked to salvage a point for Town but Lewington was equal to the diving header, pushing it past the post.

Despite the defeat, Fleetwood remain in the play-off places. Their next game will see them continue their FA Cup campaign against Aldershot at home in the second round on Saturday.

Fleetwood: Davies, Beeley, Goodall, Mawene, McNulty, Brown, Ferguson, Nicholson, Johnson, Barkhuizen, Ball (Titchiner 77); subs not used: Maxwell, McLaughlin, Milligan, Fowler, Marrow, McGuire, Branco

Daggers: Lewington, Wilkinson, Ilesanmi, Doe, Spillane, Williams, Elito, Reed (Woodall, 14), Saunders, Howell, Ogogo (c); not used: Seabright, Wakefield, Scott, Maher, Hoyte, Bingham

Referee: Brendan Malone

Attendance: 1,618