Tributes paid to charity hero Harry

Harry Owen (below) died after being hit by a car while crossing Amounderness Way in Poulton.
Harry Owen (below) died after being hit by a car while crossing Amounderness Way in Poulton.

The daughter-in-law of a man who died crossing a busy main road has paid tribute to “the heart of Poulton”.

Harry Owen, 85, was hit by a car as he crossed Amounderness Way, Poulton, in September last year. He died from his injuries at the Royal Preston Hospital.

Harry Owen

Harry Owen

Last week a coroner ruled his death was accidental.

Today, his daughter-in-law, Jane Owen, described how tragedy sparked Mr Owen’s charity efforts.

She said: “He was a keen fund-raiser – he probably raised more than £100,000 for charity in his lifetime.

“His charity work started for the Christie Hospital following the death of his daughter, Gill, of cancer at the age of 17.

“He raised a phenomenal amount of money for the new roof at St Chad’s Church and he supported the North West Air Ambulance.

“Until his dying day everything was charity. He was probably raising money for more than 40 years.”

Mr Owen, who lived on Hardhorn Road before moving to Primrose Bank rest home on Breck Road, lost his wife, Jacqueline, who died in a train accident in Skipton in 1996.

He was a member of Poulton Rotary club and was one of the founder members of the town’s masonic lodge, Baines Lodge.

Mrs Owen, who lives in France, said: “Harry was a life long resident of Poulton. He was born there and it was in his blood.

“He was the heart of the town.”

Mrs Owen, 48, was back in Lancashire for Mr Owen’s inquest, which was held at Preston Coroner’s Court on Wednesday.

She said: “Harry’s death hit his family hard, and we’re all still a but shell-shocked.

“My husband, and Harry’s son Chris, lost his sister, his mother and now his father all in tragic circumstances.

“Even though he was in the rest home, he was out every day if the weather was fine.

“He was such a character, and so well known in Poulton.”

Mr Owen was a pupil at Baines School, and went on to work in the family business selling agricultural machinery and supplies.

He later became a self-employed seed merchant and agricultural supplier.

Mrs Owen added: “There wasn’t enough room for everyone at his funeral.”

Mr Owen also leaves granddaughters Amélie, 16, and Clémence, nine.

Mrs Owen would like to make contact with some of Mr Owen’s acquaintances.

They can contact her at

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.