Murder victim’s family plea to keep killer off their doorstep

Sylvia Baker, Lorraine Waldermar and Marisa Clive
Sylvia Baker, Lorraine Waldermar and Marisa Clive

THE brutal killer of a Fleetwood pensioner, due for parole in August, could end up back in the town where she committed the horrific crime.

And the victim’s family are now begging authorities not to allow Sheila Wilkinson to live on their doorstep.

The grandmother was given a life sentence after battering her partner, 77-year-old Robert Brooks, to death in August 2001 at her Fleetwood home.

But Wilkinson, who caused 90 separate injuries by shredding Mr Brooks’ skin with her nails and attacking him with a shoe, has recently been allowed to make home visits to Blackpool – to the disgust of her victim’s family. Wilkinson – described as “wicked” by the judge who jailed her – will also be given the choice of where she wants to live when she is released full-time, potentially this summer. Mr Brooks’ sickened family is worried Wilkinson could soon be living around the corner from them.

They have now set up a campaign to try and prevent her from returning to Blackpool by calling on the Home Office to ban killers from living near to their victims’ families. Wilkinson is known to have family near to Mr Brooks daughters Lorraine Waldermar and Sylvia Baker.

Mrs Baker, of Heritage Way, Anchorsholme, said: “This woman could technically end up living next door to me. “

We feel like prisoners in our own home already, not knowing when she will be visiting, or worse, let out for good.

Wilkinson was found guilty at Preston Crown Court in March 2002. The mother of three had admitted manslaughter, but the jury returned a unanimous guilty verdict of murder.

In the lead up to the murder Wilkinson admitted losing her temper after she claimed Mr Brooks threw a glass at her and poked her in the eye during a blazing row. She started hitting him with a flatheeled leather sandal but told the court she could remember nothing of the attack after that.

When Wilkinson, now 65, is freed, she is allowed to choose where she lives, providing she does not visit the scene of the murder at her former home in Derwent Avenue, Fleetwood.