Man rescued from flat fire in North Shore

A man was rescued from his North Shore flat after he fell asleep while cooking food, say fire services.

Monday, 5th March 2018, 7:30 am
Updated Monday, 5th March 2018, 9:25 am
Crews were called out to Pleasant Street in North Shore just after 9pm on Sunday after neighbours raised the alarm PIC: Peter Dockerty

Crews were called out to Pleasant Street in North Shore just after 9pm on Sunday after neighbours raised the alarm at a block of flats.

Firefighters say they were forced to gain entry into the property and were then able to lead a man in a "confused state" to safety.

A spokesman for the fire services said: "It seems that a gentleman fell asleep and left a grill pan unattended.

"A fire alarm sounded which alerted neighbours who called us.

"On arrival we had to force entry into the building and a male casualty in his 40s was led to safety in a confused sate.

"He was taken to hospital as a precaution suffering from smoke inhalation.

"He is not thought to have been seriously injured.

"We used a dry powder extinguisher to put out the fire and damage was confined to the kitchen area.

"It was good that the fire alarm worked - it did its job and alerted neighbours who contacted us."