Fleetwood: From the courts 23-03-16

A man was found with indecent photographs of children some at the highest level of depravity a court was told.

Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 1:51 pm
Updated Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 2:17 pm
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Dean Anderson, 22, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty via court video link to three offences of making indecent pictures of children,

He also admitted breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order.

The offences took place between January last year and January this year at Fleetwood.

Anderson was remanded in custody for sentence at Preston Crown Court by Blackpool magistrates.

• Ambulance staff reported a sick woman’s son to the police for drink-driving.

Marc Joyce had not been allowed to travel in the ambulance with his mother after arriving home to find paramedics preparing to take her to hospital.

Joyce had been to the pub but he was worried about his mum so he decided to follow the ambulance to Blackpool Victoria Hospital in his car.

He was reported to police by the ambulance crew, but when he was approached by an officer at the hospital, he lied claiming he had been given a lift and his car was parked outside the home he shared with his mum.

An officer sent to check found no sign of a car at the address and when confronted again Joyce admitted he had driven there and his car was in the hospital’s multi-storey car park.

A test showed he was more than twice over the alcohol limit.

Joyce, a 26-year-old administrator, of Poulton Road, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

He was banned from the road for 22 months and fined £340 with £85 costs plus £34 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Jim Mowbray, prosecuting, said police attended Blackpool Victoria Hospital on February 29, at about 1am, after ambulance staff reported they suspected Joyce had been drink-driving.

They said they believed he had driven from Fleetwood, following their ambulance, and gave details of his vehicle.

Joyce denied driving saying his cousin had given him a lift, but police noticed he had the keys to a Hyundai car in his hand.

He added his car was parked at home, but checks showed this was untrue.

When challenged again Joyce admitted he had driven himself to the hospital.

A breath test showed 89 micrograms of alcohol in his body – 35 is the limit.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said Joyce, who had no previous convictions, had been to the pub that night and had had no intention of driving.

Mr Nelligan said: “He arrived home to find paramedics attending to his mother. The paramedics decided to take her to hospital, but he was not allowed to accompany her in the ambulance.

“The paramedics had a suspicion he would follow them to hospital and that’s exactly what he did.

“He was stuck between a rock and a hard place and he decided to put his mum’s needs first.

“He has lost his good character and is very ashamed to be standing here.”

• A serial thief stole more than £300 worth of meat and chocolate from shops when he was a drug addict.

Martin Tysoe, 34, of Preesall Close, Thornton, pleaded guilty to four offences of theft.

He was given a two year conditional discharge and ordered to pay £344 compensation by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Jim Mowbray, said Tysoe took chocolate valued at £133 from Poundstretchers, Blackpool, in October last year, and chocolate worth £15 from B and M Bargains, St Annes.

In November he stole twice from the Co-op at Fleetwood taking meat valued at £120 on one occasion and meat worth £76 on another.

Tysoe had a record of 189 offences the majority for theft and similar offences.

Brett Chappell, defending, said his client’s life had been blighted by his drug addiction, but since being released from prison he had been completely free of heroin for the first time in many years.

• A man accused of grabbing a little boy off the street at Fleetwood and sexually abusing him more than 30 years ago has made his first appearance at court.

Philip Matley, 52, of Braemar Walk, Bispham, Blackpool, is charged with indecently assaulting a seven-year-old boy in a garage between 1984 and 1986.

Prosecutor, Jim Mowbray, asked for the case to be heard at crown court.

Defence lawyer, Brett Chappell, said his client would not indicated a plea to the offence at that stage.

Matley was bailed to appear at Preston Crown Court on April 13 by Blackpool magistrates.

• A man accused of not paying after dumping rubbish at a tip has appeared at court.

Anthony Cawley, 22, of The Croft, Fleetwood, pleaded not guilty to making off without paying £120 for the disposal of waste on September 7 last year at Poulton.

Cawley had his case adjourned to April 14 for trial by Blackpool magistrates.

• A man twice stole goods from the same shop intending to sell them on the black market to help pay some of his debts.

Adam Mee, unemployed, aged 25, of Rossall Road, Thornton, pleaded guilty to two offences of theft and failing to answer bail.

He was sentenced to 42 days imprisonment suspended for six months and ordered to pay £148 compensation plus £80 victims’ surcharge by District Judge Rod Ross sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said Mee went into the Co-op, on February 29and stole toiletries and vodka valued at an estimated £148 before leaving without paying.

On March 1 staff saw Mee enter the store again. He took alcohol and was detained outside.

When interviewed Mee said he had intended stealing the goods to sell them on the black market because he had debts.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said pressure over Mee’s debts was being put on his father and he was trying to get money to pay.

• Top boxer Brian Rose came away with a points victory... over his driving licence.

The 30 year old British light middleweight champion who is about to fight for the world title convinced magistrates that he never received letters from the police, courts and DVLA about criminal proceedings.

The boxer was found not guilty by the magistrates in Blackpool of failing to notify the authorities about the identity the driver of his Mercedes car which was caught by a speed camera doing 36 miles per hour in a 30 mph zone on the A 586 at Poulton, on January 18 2015.

Rose said he never received notification that he was to be prosecuted for the offence at his then home in Garden Close, Poulton

He also said he did not get a reminder letter or letter relating to the fact that in his absence from court he had been fined and banned from driving and he also said he had not been told about points on his licence.

Rose told the court: “I never knew I had been banned by a court. I value my driving licence a great deal.Boxing is my job.It’s not just what some people think – two men belting each other. It is the way I earn my living.”

Magistrates were told that his failure to react to the notice of prosecution for speeding led to him having a driving ban imposed, a fine and points on his licence.

As a result of the ban he was pulled up by police on the motorway at Preston and held in the cells before a judge released him after hearing his explanation that he never knew he was disqualified.

Rose denied failing to respond to the original speeding prosecution notice.

He said: “At that time my life was in chaos. My marriage had broken down and I had moved into a flat.

“During the week I would be in Manchester in training and stayed in hotels.I sublet my flat to a friend from a gym and once a week I would call him and ask if there was only mail for me.”

“If he told me no I had to believe him.”

“I am now back with my wife and everything is more organised.”

Magistrates dismissed the charge and said they were happy that Rose had not been irresponsible and had a mail collection arrangement in place.

• A drunken garage owner who was banned from the road used a customer’s van to drive around in.

Lee Woodies aroused police suspicion when he passed two officers in a car at speed and swerving all over the road in the early hours after going to a party.

After stopping the van he was chased and caught by the officers and when asked why he had run off he replied “because I’m drunk”.

Woodies, 42, of Custom House Lane, Fleetwood, who is on life licence from prison for an offence of arson, pleaded guilty to taking a vehicle without consent and driving it with excess alcohol while disqualified.

He was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison, suspended for 18 months with up to 15 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, disqualified from driving for 40 months and ordered to pay £85 costs with £80 victims’ surcharge by District Judge Rod Ross sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said police in an unmarked car saw Woodies speeding and swerving about in a Fiat van at Fleetwood on March 19 at 2am.

After driving round the block pursued by the officers Woodies pulled up in Leyburn Avenue, staggered out of the van and ran off.

A breath test showed 61 micrograms of alcohol in his body – 35 is the limit. He had a previous drink-driving conviction from last year.

When interviewed he said he had been to a party and admitted the van, which belonged to a customer, had been in his garage for repairs.

He had drunk three pints at the party and a friend was meant to drive him back, but got too drunk.

Brett Chappell, defending, told the judge Woodies said he had been abused as a child. In the past months he had dwelt on this and turned to drink, with the result that he binge drank three or four nights a week.

• A man accused of making threatening telephone calls to a woman has appeared at court.

Lewis Crosson, 20, of Beach Road, Cleveleys, pleaded not guilty to the offence.

He was bailed to April 21 for trial by District Judge Rod Ross sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.