Firefighters hand over warehouse blaze site

Picture by Lancashire Fire Service
Picture by Lancashire Fire Service

Wyre Council has taken over responsibilty for operations at the site of a warehouse blaze in Fleetwood, almost two weeks after fire broke out.

Fire crews remain at the site in Jameson Road and water is being used to keep smoke and ash at a minimum.

But then emergency phase of the operation is now completed with Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service handing over responsibilty.

A Wyre Council spokesman said: “The fire has now passed from the emergency response phase, and has now entered the recovery phase which is being led by Wyre Council in conjunction with partners including the site operator, Lancashire Fire and rescue personnel, Environment Agency and representatives from the police.

“Water continues to be sprayed on the fire, which will suppress the smoke and airborne ash.

“Residual smoke rising from the plant contains no toxic substances that would present a risk to the public and ash carried in the smoke and subsequently falling to the ground is also harmless.”

However those who do come into contact with the smoke are reminded to take basic precautions and limit their exposure.

The spokesman said: “Public Health England advises that any smoke can be an irritant and as such, if people need to be outdoors, they are advised to avoid outside areas affected by any smoke or ash, or limit the time they spend in them.

“Some of the substances present in smoke can irritate the lining of the air passages, the skin and eyes. Respiratory symptoms include coughing and wheezing, breathlessness, sputum (phlegm) production and chest pain. If symptoms occur, people should seek medical advice or call NHS 111. Chemicals in the smoke can also worsen existing health problems like asthma. People with asthma should carry their inhaler.

“Short term contact with soot is minimal risk. It is unlikely to be inhaled if disturbed and therefore unlikely to cause any respiratory symptoms. If you notice it on the a surface, it can safely be washed off.”

At its height the blaze, involving bales of platic, burned at temperatures in excess of 1,000 degrees.

The fire is believed to have been started deliverately.