Fleetwood: From the courts 27-01-16

Blackpool Magistrates Court
Blackpool Magistrates Court

A judge has banned a man from a Fleetwood supermarket after he stole a bottle of rum from there on New Year’s Day.

Christopher Grundy said he took the booze because he was struggling financially as his benefits had not been sorted out. Grundy, 35, of Bold Street, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to theft.

He was sentenced to a 12-month community order with one year’s drug rehabilitation, prohibited from entering Asda, Dock Street, Fleetwood for 12 months and ordered to pay £85 costs plus £60 victims’ surcharge by District Judge Jane Goodwin sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

The judge told Grundy: “You have a terrible record for this type of offending.”

Pam Smith, prosecuting, said Grundy was caught after stealing a bottle of Bacardi from the port’s Asda.

Peter Manning, defending, said his client, who had a substantial drug history, had pleaded guilty promptly.

• A man was caught red-handed stealing £15 in change from a car by the owner.

Peter Bandy was also recognised by the owner because they had previously been neighbours.

Bandy, 40, of Salisbury Avenue, Knott End, pleaded guilty to theft.

He was sentenced to a four weeks tagged curfew from 9pm to 7am and ordered to pay £15 compensation with £85 costs plus £60 victims’ surcharge by District Judge Jane Goodwin sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, said a man living on the Esplanade, Knott End, heard his car alarm going off on November 20 about 1am.

The owner went out to see Bandy inside his car and recognised him because he had been a previous neighbour. Bandy then ran off.

Allan Cobain, defending, said his client was ashamed of himself and felt he had let himself down.

• A voluntary worker accused of harassing a former girlfriend by contacting her and visiting her workplace has appeared at court.

Robert Martin, 22, of Counsell Court, Thornton, had his case adjourned by Blackpool magistrates.

Martin was bailed on the conditions he did not contact his ex or enter Larkholme Road and the Freeport Shopping Centre, both in Fleetwood, as conditions of his bail.

• A Fleetwood man has appeared at court charged with stealing an 83-year -old pensioner’s hand bag.

Darren Simm is accused of taking the bag and its contents from her home on Carr Road,Fleetwood.

Simm of Derbyshire Road,Fleetwood was remanded in custody when he appeared before Blackpool Magistrates Court.

They sent him for trial at Preston Crown Court on February 24.

• A woman has ben accused of harassing a neighbour at the age of 82.

Pensioner Jean Lay pleaded not guilty to using threatening behaviour likely to cause harassment on August 2 last year.

Lay of The HomesteadFleetwood, had the case against her adjourned by District Judge Jeff Brailsford sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

A case management hearing will be held in February.

• A man attacked his mother and sister pushing them both onto a sofa.

Neil Gray, 26, of Mayfield Avenue, Thornton, pleaded guilty to two offences of assault and one offence of damage.

Gary McAnulty, defending, said Gray admitted pushing his mother and then his sister onto a sofa, on December 20, before punching a hole in the kitchen wall. He had a previous conviction for assaulting his mother.

Gray was bailed for pre-sentence reports and will be sentenced at a later date by Blackpool magistrates.

• Two youths- one from Fleetwood and the other from Cleveleys-have appeared before Blackpool Youth Court charged with causing an affray.

The duo aged 15 and 17 were bailed until January 28 on condition they do not contact each other of three witnesses involved in the prosecution.

They must not enter Victoria Street,Fleetwood.

Both are charged with affray in Fleetwood on January 24.The younger defendant is also accused of breaching an ASBO and assaulting a police officer.

• A man forced his former girlfriend’s head into a bin filled with empty bottles a judge was told.

Daly Walker then punched his ex, a self-confessed alcoholic, several times on the back of the head.

Walker, 36, formerly of North Church Street, Fleetwood, now living at Regent Street, Lancaster, denied assault but was convicted of the offence after a trial.

He was sentenced to a two year community order with up to 40 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, fined £25 with £300 costs and ordered to pay £50 compensation plus £60 victims’ surcharge.

District Judge Roger Lowe also put Walker on a one year restraining order which bans him from contacting the victim or going to an address on Maitland Avenue, Thornton Cleveleys.

Chrissie Hunt, prosecuting, said Walker had stayed the night at his ex’s Fleetwood home and the next day on October 28 refused to leave when she asked.

Walker forced his ex’s arms back, stuck her head in a bin and punched the back of her head, leaving her with a small lump and tenderness.

Jon Lee, defending, said Walker’s ex was a self-confessed alcoholic and the night before the incident her mother had rung Walker and asked him to go to the hospital where she had taken an overdose of tablets.

Walker had then stayed the night with her at home and in the morning his ex asked him to get her some alcohol.

He refused so she bought and drank some vodka.

Walker refused to leave because he was worried about her welfare. Walker’s father had been jailed for manslaughter and his mother was an alcoholic.

He had been taken into care and as a result of the way he was treated there he had issues.