Blackpool: From the courts 19-05-17

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Friday, 19th May 2017, 7:00 am
Updated Sunday, 4th June 2017, 9:11 pm
Blackpool Magistrates' Court

Natasha Reid, 37, racially aggravated assault and racially aggravated threatening behaviour

A woman racially abused two brothers when she went into the store they ran in Blackpool.

After being asked to leave the store Natasha Reid told the two men: “What are you going to do if I don’t leave - get Al Qaeda.”

In the fracas which followed, as the brothers tried to escort her out, she punched out at both and scratched one on the head as she shouted racial abuse at them.

Reid, 37, of Palatine Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to two offences of racially aggravated assault and one offence of racially aggravated threatening behaviour.

She was sentenced to a 24 months community order with up to 30 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service and ordered to pay the brothers £100 compensation each with £85 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Presiding magistrate, Peter Collins, told him: “Drink has played a big part in your offending and we hope with the help of the probation service you will not go back to it and you will get your life back on track.”

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said Reid went into the Buy Low Bargains store, Central Drive, on April 10 at 12.50am.

She made race-hate remarks, kept asking one of the brother’s to have sex with her and attacked both brothers when they tried to get her to leave.

When interviewed Reid told police she had bought three litres of strong cider from the same store earlier in the day.

She had gone to the beach and drunk the cider and also taken two boxes of painkillers for a tooth problem she needed dental surgery on.

Reid added she was not a racist and when shown CCTV of the offences she asked for it to be turned off because she was so embarrassed.

Stephen Duffy, defending, said his client had little memory of the events and was horrified when told what she had said and done.

Reid said it was not unusual for her to buy alcohol from that store and she regarded both brothers as friends. She had an issue with alcohol which ran through her offending.

Cheryl Spendlove-Etherington, 45, breach of the peace

A tenant who upset other residents of a block of flats in St Annes told police called to the scene she would kill them.

Cheryl Spendlove-Etherington, 45, of St Albans Road, St Annes, pleaded guilty to breach of the peace and was bound over to keep the peace for 12 months in the sum of £100 by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said police were called to the report of a disturbance at flats on St Albans Road on May 15 at 1.30pm, where residents complained the defendant had been shouting and banging about.

Spendlove-Etherington was shouting inside her room.

She repeatedly refused to come out when requested to by police, called officers queers and threatened to kill them.

A key to her room was found and after police entered they arrested her.

Spendlove-Etherington apologised to magistrates and said: “I was smoking wacky-baccy.”

Mark Stelfox, 44, assault

A man accused of holding a knife to his girlfriend’s throat and hitting her on the head and in the ribs has made his first appearance at court.

Mark Stelfox, 44, of Coronation Road, Cleveleys, pleaded not guilty to assault.

He was bailed to July 14 for trial by Magistrates. He must not contact the complainant or enter Blackpool except for court appearances as conditions of his bail.

Kenny Evans, 36, drunk and disorderly

A man was arrested after banging on a cash machine at a garage on the resort’s Talbot Road.

Kenny Evans, 36, of Central Drive, Blackpool, was not present at court but pleaded guilty by letter to being drunk and disorderly.

He was fined £40 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said police saw Evans and another man hitting a cash machine at a garage on February 7.

Evans was shouting abuse and then tried to hit his friend.

An officer told him to go on his way but he returned and started swinging punches at his friend.

Zow Izard, 26, benefits fraud

A woman accused of being involved in benefit fraud had her case adjourned by magistrates.

Zoe Izard, 26, of Furness Avenue, Grange Park, who faces two offences of dishonestly causing another person to fail to give prompt notice of a change in circumstances, was not present at court.

Mark Naylor, 43, assault

A man hit his girlfriend with a drinks can, leaving her with a cut finger.

Mark Naylor, a 43-year-old father-of-two, of Osborne Road, South Shore, pleaded guilty to assault.

He was sentenced to a six months community order with up to 20 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, put on a 28 days tagged curfew from 9pm to 6am, ordered to pay £85 costs with £85 victims’ surcharge and put on a six months retraining order which banned him from contacting the complainant by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said on May 14, Naylor’s partner said he accused her of taking too long when she went to a shop.

There was an argument and he hit her several times with a can he was holding cutting her finger.

Naylor’s partner said she went downstairs to let him out and the next thing she knew she was on the floor being woken by a police officer. She said Naylor must have knocked her out.

When interviewed Naylor said they had both been drunk and she had hit him on the lip.

He added he pushed her away but did not hit her.

He said he loved her and still wanted to be with her.

Daniel Hudson, 37, breach of a community order

A man who had broken his leg was unable to pick-up a sick note from his doctor’s to showed he was not fit to do payback work because of the recent cyber attack on NHS computers a court was told.

Daniel Hudson, 37, of Torsway Avenue, Marton, who is accused of breaching a 12 months community order with 120 hours unpaid work for the community by failing to attend appointments and keep in touch with his probation officer, had his case adjourned.