Amy gets a lift to independence

Amy Wolstenholme takes a test run in her new lift.
Amy Wolstenholme takes a test run in her new lift.

The smile says it all. Amy Wolstenholme has suffered more in her brief life than most people will endure in their lifetime after contracting meningitis as a baby.

But the optimistic tot is as happy as ever and has won back some of her independence with the help of Wyre Council who granted her £27,000 to install a lift, wet room and a ramp at her Ravens Close home in Poulton.

Amy’s right leg was amputated up to the knee when the disease spread over her body in 2010, and she has endured 48 operations to date as she battles against the effects of the disease.

The new features of her home means the cheerful toddler can get from the living room to her bedroom with ease and alleviate the strain on her mum, Jade.

She said: “Amy is going to be having a lot of operations through her life and I’m not going to be able to carry her.

“I struggle to carry her now at three and it’s not safe, but this gives her more independence.

“She can’t get up the stairs at all at the moment so this is going to be great for her.

“It’s definitely going to help us turn a corner.”

Tragedy struck 24-year-old Jade in May this year when her father, Anthony, died aged just 51.

The devastating turn of events heaped even more pressure on the young mum, and she admits life hasn’t been easy, but the thousands of pounds from the council will help.

She added: “It was just me, my dad and the kids, so it’s been heartbreaking for my son Connor because my dad took him to school.

“My dad was my right hand man, but we are settling down now and concentrating on Amy.” Coun Roger Berry, cabinet member with responsibility for housing services at Wyre Council, said: “It’s always heartwarming to hear how these grants have a made a real difference to people’s lives.”

Brave tot battled back from disease

Jade Wolstenholme discovered a rash on her baby daughter, Amy, in December 2010.

Amy was taken to Liverpool’s Alder Hey Hospital where she spent three months in the children’s ward with 16 machines keeping her alive.

Her right leg was amputated as the rash rapidly spread across her body.

Amy was allowed to leave hospital with her family and return to her Ravens Close home in March 2011, five days before her first birthday.

Amy returns to Alder Hey Hopsital for regular check ups and x-rays on her left leg, which is still at risk of amputation.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.