Sited on the banks of the River Wyre, business first started back in the Victorian era when the discovery of million of tons of rock salt under the river led to an enterprising group to form the Fleetwood Salt Company. That was in 1890.
It became ICI in 1926 and through industrial growth during the following decades, additional plants were added to site. By the post war era, ICI was a giant industry. These photos are a snapshot of the workforce during its heyday
Willem Prinselaar presses the button at Welvic Plastics Plant at ICI to start production on plastic for double glazed units in 1984. With him are Steve Riley, Barry Livingstone, Keith Engstrom, Derek Ashworth and Eric Thompson
ICI hosted a weekend of centenary celebrations in 1990 to show 15,000 visitors around the site. Twins Kaylee and Dean Stockwell, of Fleetwood are pictured receiving sticks of rock from ICI’s two mini robots
Vinyl Chloride workers celebrated production of two million tonnes of monomer at ICI in 1984. Pictured are Alan Lewis, Don Williams, Ian Barlow, Bill Fairclough and Jim Hewitt
Staff apprentices at ICI who won the endeavour trophy on 1982