Fleetwood deny claims they blocked Darlington signings

Fleetwood Town v Darlington earlier in the season
Fleetwood Town v Darlington earlier in the season

FLEETWOOD Town officials have firmly rebutted claims that they tried to put the block on cash-stricken Darlington adding to their skeleton squad prior to Saturday’s clash at the Northern Echo Area.

Darlington have been trying to augment their squad for the match after the playing staff was sacked earlier in the week.

And caretaker boss Craig Liddle, struggling to field a side, pointed an accusing finger at Fleetwood.

He said : “Fleetwood have been on to the Conference - I don’t think they’re happy that we were allowed to bring loan players in when we’ve got an embargo.”

This has led to bitter comments via Twitter against the Highbury club.

Fleetwood have firmly denied they had made any such overtures to the league.

Their complete rebuttal has been backed up by Conference officials.

The Highbury club’s communications manager Derick Thomas said: “The only enquiry made by Fleetwood Town in terms of Saturday’s game at Darlington related to whether the game itself would be taking place.”

League general secretary Dennis Strudwick said: “I haven’t had any such requests from Fleetwood.

“They have conducted themselves in a very professional way - they have looked after their own affairs and let the Conference deal with its own business.

“We want Darlington to finish the season and the match on Saturday to go ahead.”

In any event, it is clear that the make and shape of the Darlington line-up will be keenly and independently scrutinised by the league to see if Darlington have abided by the registration rules.

Darlington looked like going under earlier in the week, but a £50,000 cash injection gave them a temporary reprieve and some breathing space.