A mid-summer walk which attracts 1,300 people every year has been cancelled for the first time in its history.
Affectionately known as the Wreck Trek, the five-mile walk from Fleetwood to the Wyre Light lighthouse was due to take place next weekend, but organisers at Fleetwood Lifeboat Station have called it off because of the dangerous ground underfoot.
A dry run of the walk was carried out on Tuesday evening, and testers found a gully “thick with glutenous mud” and deep depressions in the ground leading up to Wyre Light.
Capt David Eccles, lifeboat operations manager at Fleetwood RNLI, said: “The beach conditions are the worst they have been for many, many years.
“This means that for the first time in Fleetwood Lifeboat history, unfortunately we are going to have to cancel this event.
“The Wreck Trek has always been a huge and important event for us, but it’s no good doing it if it’s not safe.
“If anyone walks out to Wyre Light, they could find themselves in problems very quickly.”
The trek, which was due to take place on June 22, has been running for around 12 years and annually attracts hundreds of people from around the country.
But Capt Eccles said the poor conditions had been caused by the unseasonal weather over recent months.
“The sand has not had a chance to dry out,” he said.
“This was not an easy decision to make.
“In fact, it was something that we agonised over but at the end of the day, we need to make sure the walk is safe for our supporters and the general public.”