Woman rescued in early morning fire

Official opening of Fleetwood Community Fire Station.'Exterior.  PIC BY ROB LOCK'27-9-2012
Official opening of Fleetwood Community Fire Station.'Exterior. PIC BY ROB LOCK'27-9-2012

Firefighters used a door ram to break into a home and rescue a woman from a fire.

Crews from Fleetwood Fire Station were called out to a home on Poulton Street, Fleetwood, at 5.05am on Saturday to reports of a pan fire.

A neighbour alerted emergency services after hearing a smoke alarm sounding and getting no reply from the property.

Crews used a ram to force their way into the property where they found the occupant asleep and suffering the effects of smoke inhalation.

The 21-year-old was rescued by firefighters and given oxygen therapy at the scene.

The home had filled with thick black smoke after the woman fell asleep while sausages were left to cook.

Crew manager Kevin Warwick said had the neighbour not called 999 it could have led to a fatality.

He added: “She did have a smoke alarm, luckily, otherwise we could potentially have been looking at a fatality.

“Potentially we could have been looking at a fire with serious injuries but thankfully the smoke alarm avoided that.”

Paramedics were also called to the early morning incident and the woman was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital as a precautionary measure.

The fire destroyed a pan and its contents and cause smoke damage to the property.

Crew manager Warwick has warned people against cooking food late at night when they are tired or under the influence of alcohol.

He said: “People who are going to go out and have a drink, it’s important they don’t try to cook late on.

“It has been a bigger issue and cooking fires are still quite high in this area.”

For a free smoke alarm check or information, contact: 0800 169 1125