Organisers of the annual mid-summer walk to Wyre Light hope this year’s shock cancellation will be a one-off and it can resume next year.
Fleetwood Lifeboat members had to call off this year’s Wreck Trek to the wrecked lighthouse, more than two miles off Fleetwood, because of thick glutenous mud which was deemed unsafe.
It is the first time the event has had to be called off since it was revived 12 years ago after a short break.
The five-mile walk, a major fund-raiser for the RNLI, was to be held this Saturday.
Capt Dave Eccles, lifeboat operations manager at Fleetwood RNLI, said: “The beach conditions are the worst for many years.
“We agonised over this decision because the event gets such brilliant support with more than a thousand participants, but after a dry-run to test the conditions, we realised we would have to cancel it this year.”
Capt Eccles blamed the conditions on the wet and windy spring which meant the sand had little time to dry out.
He added: “This doesn’t mean the event is finished for good.
“We hope conditions are better next year.”
Meanwhile, Capt Eccles agrees Wyre Light’s condition has badly declined and welcomes moves by Fleetwood Civic Society to try and save it.
He said: “Speaking as individuals and not as the RNLI, we welcome that because it is in a worse state than ever and it would be sad to see it fall into the sea.”
The presence of the Wyre gives Fleetwood the claim of being the only town in the UK with three lighthouses; the Pharos, Lower Light and the Wyre Light.
Around 1,300 people took part in last year’s Wreck Trek.