Brave Molly’s back home

Molly Robinson
Molly Robinson

Fleetwood cancer victim Molly Robinson has arrived after receiving specialist treatment in the USA.

Molly and her parents, Karl and Alison Robinson, have returned home after spending the last three months in America.

The eight year old, who attends St Wulstan’s & St Edmund’s Catholic Primary School, was in Oklahoma City to undergo proton beam therapy, a specialist procedure aimed at shrinking the cancerous growth on her face so that it could eventually be removed.

As the family incurred huge costs while they stayed with the youngster, generous Fleetwood folk raised thousands to support them, through fund-raisers and donations.

This week Alison, of Manor Road, Fleetwood, told the Weekly News: “It was definitely worth going over to America.

“I am prepared to do everything I can to make Molly well, and we are all hoping that the treatment has done enough to make the growth operable.

“Molly has to go for a scan and chemotherapy treatment at Manchester Children Hospital next month, and we will know then what the true situation is with the growth.

“As a family, we just want to thank everyone who has helped us over the last few months.

“People in Fleetwood have been unbelievably supportive and generous and without them we would never have been able to go to America.”

Although the cost of treatment was covered by the NHS, the expense of staying in America wasn’t.

Molly has been particularly brave and stoic in the face of her serious health problems.

In addition to bearing up to the illness and the treatment, she has been hit by a debilitating infection.

“It has been really gruelling on Molly, “ Alison explained. “She caught an infection a few weeks ago and that set her back.”

Barbara Postle, Alison’s mum and Molly’s gran, was also in America for a short while, supporting the family.

She said: “The medical staff in America were so helpful.

“It has been a very worrying time for all of us.

“We still don’t know what will happen.

“So we were all very worried when we were in Oklahoma, but the staff could not have been nicer.

“They put us at our ease and were really kind to Molly, too. They were brilliant.”

The proton beam therapy was quite gruelling in itself, and even left Molly with third degree burns.

But the growth on Molly’s face appears to have shrunk, and the family say that if it can be removed, it will all have been worth it.

Molly’s cancer started as a small lump and there were delays in getting it diagnosed as cancer.

Alison did her own research on the internet before realising it was cancerous and urging her GP to liaise with a specialist.

She says parents should never take any strange lumps or growth lightly.