Fresh fight over health centre

Poulton residents (from left) Evina Davis, Chris Gannon, Ken Nickson, Bill Waller, John Bailie and Merle Nickson
Poulton residents (from left) Evina Davis, Chris Gannon, Ken Nickson, Bill Waller, John Bailie and Merle Nickson

CAMPAIGNERS against plans to build a controversial health centre are preparing for battle – again.

Dozens of residents are expected to attend the latest appeal by Rushcliffe Developers for a three-storey health centre on Vicarage Road, Poulton.

The plan to build the centre on part of the park and within Poulton’s conservation area was unanimously rejected by Wyre Council last year.

At the time it was felt the information submitted regarding air quality was insufficient and the size, scale and mass of the building would be detrimental to the area.

But Rushcliffe Developers still believe their proposals could be approved at the public inquiry scheduled to start next Wednesday.

Managing director Harry Ashworth said he feels Rushcliffe can provide enough evidence to say the planning committee were wrong on the grounds they put forward.

He added: “There is still a need for the provision of health care in Poulton and the site is perfect.”

However the development company could face a tough challenge after the council announced it will not sell any of the park.

And North Lancashire Primary Care Trust, originally involved in the application, say funding for the project is now not available.

John Bailie, of Concerned Residents of Poulton (CROP), said: “This appeal is difficult to understand, but we still stand by what we have always said, Vicarage Road is not the right location.

“There is a perfectly good and empty spot on Station Road.”

The inquiry will start at 10am on August 3 at the Civic Centre on Breck Road, Poulton.