Family’s disbelief at death verdict

editorial image
0
Have your say

The family of a pedestrian killed as she was crossing the road have spoken of their “disbelief” after the driver was cleared of causing death by dangerous driving.

Natalie Foulser, 21, of Heathfield Road, Fleetwood, was found not guilty by a jury of causing death by dangerous driving following a trial at Preston Crown Court last week.

Her earlier guilty plea made in May to the lesser charge of causing death by careless driving was accepted however – and she will be sentenced for that offence on November 8 at Burnley Crown Court.

The case followed the death of Averil Monks, 75, who died on June 27 when she was hit by a Honda Civic being driven by Foulser as she was crossing Preston New Road in Marton, Blackpool.

Today the family of Mrs Monks, a retired nurse from Marton, said in a statement they were disappointed with the outcome.

They said: “Our reaction to the verdict is one of disbelief and disappointment.

“This has been a very distressing time for us all and we firmly believe there was sufficient evidence to support a conviction of causing death by dangerous driving as we were completely satisfied the police investigated the matter thoroughly.

“We just hope that justice prevails when it come to the sentencing for causing death by careless driving.”

The judge has warned Foulser she could face a custodial sentence.

Judge Altham described the case as “difficult and important” and told Foulser: “It’s still a serious matter, all options remain open to the court.”