Couple accused of son’s neglect

Blackpool Magistrates' Court
Blackpool Magistrates' Court

A couple have appeared at court accused of neglecting and ill-treating their new -born baby son.

The two 21-year-olds are alleged to have failed to feed the baby boy properly.

The baby is said to have lost almost a quarter of his weight after he was born to mother Olga Karnopele and her partner Aleksandrs Vitte.

The couple from Moor Street,Kirkham, are charged with neglecting and ill treating the baby boy between his birthdate of November 28 and December 30 last year.

The Latvian couple had court proceedings relayed to them in Russian by an interpreter when they appeared before magistrates at Blackpool.

The Crown Prosecution Service asked magistrates to grant a gagging order which would have forbidden the press to name the couple.

The request was refused following an application by a journalist covering the case.

Lawyer for Vitte – Peter Cave – said his client would plead not guilty to the charge.

Steve Scott who represented heavily-pregnant Karnopele said his client would not enter a plea at this stage.

The couple were bailed and their cases were sent for trial at Preston Crown Court.