Chemical alert after pet dog ‘poisoned’

Coun Penny Martin, pictured with her dog Tess, is warning people about use of a household chemical which poisoned a dog.
Coun Penny Martin, pictured with her dog Tess, is warning people about use of a household chemical which poisoned a dog.

Residents were today urged to use household chemicals with caution after a dog was left needing urgent vet care when it was poisoned by disinfectant.

Coun Penny Martin has asked environmental health professionals from Wyre Council to warn residents about the use of Jeyes Fluid.

The Cleveleys Park ward councillor was approached by a constituent after his dog, a German Shepherd, became ill after coming into contact with the fluid.

The chemical is an outdoor disinfectant, commonly used on drains, bins and paths. Councillors believe it may have been used by householders to repel dogs.

Wyre Council is now investigating the matter.

Coun Martin said: “This stuff, if just put down neat, can be deadly. It has to be used properly.

“It seems to be put down on pavements outside homes, it may be a belief that it repels dogs – it does but it in a harmful way, I’m sure no-one would do that maliciously.

“It could affect dogs, cats, children, any kind of wildlife.”

She added: “It’s about raising awareness so people are aware of how to use it properly.”

A council spokesman said: “The council has been made aware of the incident and we are looking into it in more detail with other agencies to decide what action, if any, needs to be taken.”

Coun Martin added: “The dog affected, his digestive system was rotted from the inside out. It’ll be receiving treatment for some time.”

A spokesman for Jeyes Fluid said: “Jeyes Fluid should not be used neat, except when used to clear a drain.

“All other usages require at least a 1:20 dilution and animals and children should be kept off any areas where it has been used until completely dry.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.